Skip to content

Some Nice New Feedback on “Goodbye Crackernight”

4 November 2009

Goodbye Crackernight

Hi, All. Please see below for some classic comments on “Goodbye Crackernight”:  A pleasure and a relief to receive.  It’s pretty well sold out!

Justin Sheedy’s latest book, NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN now available in Print-on-Demand Paperback at AMAZON. With Rave Reviews!

Advertisements
14 Comments leave one →
  1. Glenys Marcus permalink
    9 November 2009 12:32 pm

If your book is as interesting and funny as the excerpt then it is sure to sell!! Love the tale of the Cow Dung Catasrophe!!
    Looking forward to talking to you.
    Glenys Marcus
    “A Mixed Bag of Music with Glenys”
    2 CCR FM, 90.5

2. 9 November 2009 12:45 pm

Cheers hugely, Glenys. A very kind comment from you and great to hear you enjoyed what you read. Very much looking forward to contributing to your radio show when possible. Should be a ball!

PS: The tale of the exploding cow pat is completely, completely true. (Unfortunately for the poor victims of the incident…)

3. Melissa permalink
    16 November 2009 7:29 pm

Hilarious! Grew up amongst those same streets you write about and the same experiences you describe..anyone who grew up in the 70’s in a middle class neighbourhood in Australia will appreciate these stories.
    Still don’t know how I survived speeding down Malton Rd from the shops (no helmets back then!) with 2 litres of milk, a huge bag of thick sausages and a loaf of fielders…making sure not to pass the house with the feral dog who could smell the snags a mile away and chase you to the bottom of the driveway..

Melissa

4. 16 November 2009 9:06 pm

What a great comment from you, Melissa. Huge thanks – you’ve really caught the spirit of this book. And yes, how we survived our childhood out there in the middlest of middle class suburbia is still a mystery to me! A classic remembrance from you re the very White Bread things we so frantically pedalled home. And that bloody dog!

5. Steve Crowley permalink*
    3 December 2009 2:04 pm

Hi, Justin. I read it and had heaps of laughs, brought back so many good memories and common experiences. It also brought me to tears on numerous occasions, both sad and happy. Really good stuff.
    Steve.

6. 3 December 2009 2:22 pm

What can I say, Steve?

Thank YOU.

That’s the single most rewarding piece of feedback I’ve had to date. Truly glad to hear you engaged with the story in the range of ways you describe.

7. 10 December 2009 11:33 am

Hi, All.

Just thought I’d post the below comment here, originally posted today by Simonne in the Reviews section, massively appreciated. (Simonne bought the book off Ebay.)

Hi Justin,
    AAAHHH THE FLASHBACKS
    I loved the book.I too was born way back in 1968.I grew up on the central coast,Umina Beach,NSW.Back then it was a small coastal town.Everyone kind of knew everyone.We had a lot of adventures on the Malvern Stars,doubling with sometimes 1 on the handle bars and one 1 on the back of the seat,no helmets or shoes or we did a lot of walking.We spent a lot of time down the beach,riding down the shops,exploring the bush.We were in “Brownies”.We didnt have a lot of money,or a lot of toys.We built “Cubby Houses” everywhere.Envied the neighbour who had a pool,played knock and run,sold mums plants,had chooks,knocked on doors to do “Odd Jobs”then spend 2 hours raking some old lady’s lawn for 20 cents,which would buy so much,even if you bought a “Big Charlie” bubblegum,you got change for more lollies.Everyone was Mr & Mrs.We had a gold Kingswood station wagon no seatbelts were used,a swing set,outside toilets,a lime green kitchen with matching lime green vinyl chairs on the dining suit, a verticle grill which mum would cook our lamb loin chops in,a chunky red dial telephone on the buffet unit,a rubbish pile dad use to burn every 6 months in the backyard which usually scorched the fence,a black and white HMV t.v,where “The Sullivans” were a ritual,along with the afternoon cartoons,Bewitched,I Dream of Jeannie…I could go on and on.The book bought back SO many memories,things I had forgotten about,similarities of school teachers and playground stories..And yes Crackernight..where we would all stand around in our highly flammable winter dressing gowns and let off the hours fireworks and sparklers,we stood them in plastic buckets of sand.It was usually a big get together with friends and family,bbq,beers,wine and mums chocolate cake topped with cream and grated chocolate,staying up late and lots of OOOO’s and AAAAh’s.I would love to write it all down and share my stories of growing up in the 70’s,it has inspired me.What a time…It stirred a lot of emotion,now the good old days are gone.Kind of sad.Thanks Justin I loved the book.

8. Simon Calleia permalink*
    6 January 2010 10:06 pm

Hey Justin I’ve been meaning to thank you for your help in assisting me with the exorcism of a childhood deamon.

When I was young I also got one of those little Spitfire planes on the end of a string that, supposedly, whizzed around you doing figure of eights and other complex maneuvers.It was a birthday present and I …thought it was the best thing in the world.

Anyway like you I never managed to get the damn thing to fly. I was bitterly dissapointed and always blamed myself for this failure. If only I had tried a little harder I would have mastered this complex machine instead of spending hour after sad hour spinning the prop in the hope that it would start, messing around with the fuel, etc, etc.

Well after reading about yours I now understand that the failure was not mine but rather the advertising standards of the time allowing the plane to marketed as anything other than a paper weight.

Thanks for helping me with that.

Happy NY.

9. 6 January 2010 10:13 pm

Thank you, Mr Simon Calleia.

10. Peter Ryan permalink*
    18 January 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Justin. Found a copy of your book at Dymocks in Melbourne and read it the same afternoon and evening. You really summed up the era and I found it a great read.

Peter Ryan, ABC Business Editor

11. steve permalink
    26 May 2010 10:13 pm

hi justin, i finally got around to reading your book and its was great, wouldn,t it be nice
    to have those days back,……and my charger.
    cheers mate,
    steve.

12. 27 May 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks for the comment, Steve. Very glad indeed that you enjoyed it. I guess the thing to do is be grateful for the days we had. Helps us be grateful for the days we Have. And, no shit, what other way is there than that?

Cheers to YOU, Steve.

Justin Sheedy.

13. steve permalink
    12 June 2011 2:56 am

Hi there justin, long time no talk. well its the june long weekend again (crackernight) and my supply of crackers is getting low, so i think i will just save whats left and put away for a keepsake to remind me of better days when i was a kid growing up in the 70s. hope you are well.
    cheers.

14. 12 June 2011 1:49 pm

Hiya, Steve. Excellent to hear from you. And yep, Crackernight again and no crackers. Perhaps we should let off a few of those you (STILL) have – amazing that you do. Hope you’re well, mate. Me okay, just trying like mad to get my next book published. See the link…

Till next we speak, mate.