Skip to content

“Goodbye, Crackernight” – Sydney Book Launch Sat 26 September!

15 July 2009

Launch-Invite

That’s right, folks: It’s ON. My book, “Goodbye, Crackernight”, will be launched at the beautiful new Surry Hills Library in Sydney on Saturday 26 September, event starting 4pm. If you’d like to attend, admission is free, but you must call the Surry Hills Library on (02) 8374 6230 to reserve your place(s). Once you have, please help us better plan the event by emailing crackerlaunch@hotmail.com (stating numbers you’ve booked).

My sincere thanks go to the City of Sydney Council and the Surry Hills Library, especially to their Programs C0-ordinator, Nina Bullock, for their fantastic support, also to the Gang of Three – Ruth Ross, Maree Todd and Aggie Maisano – for their tireless efforts in helping me publicise this event and the book since the launch of this website back in March.

Copies of “Goodbye, Crackernight” will be available for purchase and signing at the launch, also available in bookstores and online at the Sid Harta Publishing website from September 1st. (If it’s not on your local bookstore shelf from that date, simply ask them over the counter to order it in for you.)

JUSTIN’S LATEST BOOK, “NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN”, NOW PUBLISHED AS E-BOOK AT SMASHWORDS! IN PRINT-ON-DEMAND PAPERBACK AT AMAZON.

AND ON THE SHELVES OF DYMOCKS GEORGE ST SYDNEY, CHATSWOOD, NORTH SYDNEY, MACQUARIE CENTRE, BROADWAY, BONDI JUNCTION, ROUSE HILL & CAMBERWELL STORES. AND NOW AT GLEEBOOKS, BERKELOUW BOOKS PADDINGTON & THE AUSTRALIAN WAR MEMORIAL

EXCELLENT REVIEWS! CLICK HERE TO READ.

Advertisements
16 Comments leave one →
  1. Suzanne permalink*
    17 July 2009 11:19 am

How exciting ! Every blessing for the big launch and I look forward to getting a copy of the book when it is available.

Suzanne
    Gold Coast

2. Ngoc permalink*
    17 July 2009 11:24 am

My whole family will be attending the book launch.
    Ngoc – Carlingford NSW

3. Lesley permalink*
    17 July 2009 11:37 am

The local Angus & Robertson have put me on a list to notify when “Goodbye, Crackernight” comes in. Sorry we can’t make it to the launch
    Lesley

Maitland

4. Hermina permalink*
    17 July 2009 11:41 am

Can’t make it to the book launch unfortunately but the local library has “Goodbye, Crackernight” on order. H, Narromine NSW

5. Diana TAS permalink*
    17 July 2009 12:10 pm

Great to see that the book is soon to be launched.

6. Coralie permalink*
    17 July 2009 12:13 pm

The book launch sounds exciting – never been to one. All the best. Our thoughts will be with Justin on the 26th Sept.
    Coralie (Batlow NSW)

7. Tim permalink*
    17 July 2009 12:16 pm

Fingers crossed for a successful launch

Tim, W.A.

8. Jo, Cornwall, UK permalink*
    17 July 2009 12:37 pm

All the best for the book launch. I’m keeping an eye out over here for “Goodbye, Crackernight” as some retailers do have a good selection from overseas.

9. L Uliel permalink
    23 July 2009 10:46 am

Loved it – I grew up in the burbs of Canberra and annual Firecracker Night still resonates as one of my all enduring childhood memories – reading this excerpt brought back all the minute details – the giant bonfire we built and the firecrackers we hoarded the week before, my malvern star dragster, the sunnyboys, the BBQ pool parties, skinny dipping … it’s so spot on. Wish you much success, will copy your book link to all my 70’s peer group. Linda from Singapore

10. 23 July 2009 11:29 am

What a lovely comment, Linda. Thank you! Excellent it strikes a chord with you.

Indeed, my inspiration to write this book was the across-the-board instant enthusiasm shown by people of our generation at the merest mention of the subject matter: Talking to a complete stranger, you only have to say ‘Crackernight’, or speak of any of the beautiful, simple things that made up our childhood such as you list, and their face just lights up. Clearly the era of our youth in 1970s Australia was a very special time.

Once again my thanks to you, particularly re passing the word around to your peers.

Cheers
    Justin Sheedy.

11. Michael Sheedy permalink
    14 August 2009 4:25 pm

Well … I liked it! – Mike

12. 14 August 2009 6:14 pm

The above is my brother, folks…

If you come to the launch, you will meet him. But don’t let that put you off…

He features prominently in the book. And please, don’t be put off by that either.

Actually, he comes off rather well…

The great deal of money he paid me so that he would is neither here nor there…

13. Jodie DiNucci permalink
    2 September 2009 6:40 pm

Im too young to have had a cracker night, but reading the exerpts has made me wish i had. I was in hysterics reading the ‘cow pat’ incident. now, my mums reminising every five minutes since she got off the phone with Ruth is something i could do with a little less
    (she had a LOT of cracker nights! actually Caroline might have been at a few of them).
    I think we are planning on going to the launch. But if we dont catch you… Congratulations and Good luck, the book sounds excellent and it will be in my collection asap.
    Jodie

14. 3 September 2009 9:32 am

Hi, Jodie!

Thanks so much for your excellent comment. Glad you enjoyed the excerpts from the book, really nice to hear. Hope you can make the launch Sept 26, would be great to meet you there. Highly appreciate your good wishes – the book should be in stores within the next week. Stay posted to this site for updates over the next few days.

Once again, cheers
    Justin Sheedy.

15. Victoria Williams permalink
    22 September 2009 2:25 pm

Hey Justin, saw this in Spectrum and have now read the extract. It is a good read and brought back a lot of great childhood memories. Congratulations (on the publication and on being freed from the waged servitude of the Public Service).

My Dad painted the rear window of the Valiant station wagon with black house paint so we kids would sleep in the back while he and Mum went to the drive in. The next car was a bright yellow 70s panel van. I used to die a thousand deaths being driven around in that. For years my Dad would farewell us each day with “watch out for bits of Skylab!”. Mum got a nasty burn one crackernight when a packet of Gaffa-taped Jumping Jacks landed in her pocket. And as we used to aim those ball shooters at each other I’m surprised none of us kids ever lost on eye, or a finger. Ah, good times, good times.

Cheers
    Victoria

16. 22 September 2009 2:47 pm

Cheers, Victoria, and hope all good in your world.

Lovely recollections from you – Isn’t it amazing how we all had Valiants and were all mortified to be seen in them by anyone. Yet nice work by your father, blacking out the rear window like that. What a very practical man he must have been.

And yes, I agree, how we ever survived Childhood, I’ll never know.